Our teeth are strong but that doesn’t mean their indestructible. Just like anything else, they’re vulnerable to damage too. This can include decay, infection, and fragmentation. Sugar – more specifically, the bacteria that is left behind on our teeth from consuming sugary food and drink – can give rise to cavities. In turn, cavities can harm the internal structure of our teeth.
Cavities are a very common dental issue. Fortunately, because of this, there are many ways that you can repair your smile and receiving dental sealants in Thunder Bay is a great way to do this. Talk to a dentist near you to learn more.
Tooth Decay Explained
Did you know that cavities can be considered a chronic dental problem, especially if they go untreated? Though a cavity may not seem to be that big of a deal, it can lead to serious damage to your pulp, gums, neighboring teeth, and bones.
In most cases, tooth decay is a product of consuming sugary food and drinks like cookies, cakes, soda, and even fruit juices. Now, remember, eating such things is perfectly fine as long as it’s in reason and you brush your teeth after doing so. Sugar contains bacteria, and if it’s left to sit on your teeth and gums, it turns into an acidic, sticky substance known as plaque. Plaque can erode the minerals that make up your teeth, breaking it down and spreading over time. In simple terms, plaque and tartar slowly kill your tooth.
When a part of your tooth succumbs to decay, it can’t be reserved. Rather, you need to receive restorative treatment to stop it from progressing and save the part of your tooth that’s still healthy.
If you’re currently dealing with tooth decay, or you’re interested in learning more, reach out to your dentist in Thunder Bay.
What are Dental Sealants?
Unlike dental fillings, a treatment that’s done after a cavity has formed, receiving dental sealants is a great way to prevent cavities from developing in the first place.
A dental sealant is an extremely thin cover that’s applied to the chewing surfaces of your teeth. It covers up the fissures and grooves located there. As a result, bacteria can no longer gather in these places. This makes brushing your teeth a lot easier, and your oral hygiene will significantly improve. It’s also an additional layer of protection for your enamel.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
Outlined below are the six main benefits that dental sealants can provide you:
- They’re great for patients of all ages. Even though sealants are frequently recommended to kids since they can have trouble brushing and flossing their teeth properly, especially their molars, teenagers and adults can obtain sealants too.
- Reduce cavities by covering the deep grooves on the chewing surface of your teeth.
- Receiving your sealants is a quick process that will cause you no pain.
- They last! You’ll still need to practice good daily habits after you have acquired your sealants. If you take good care of them, they can last up to 10 years or more.
- You’ll save money in the long term! Since your smile will be healthier, you won’t need to come into the dentist as often.
- No alterations are made to your teeth. Unlike other processes, particularly cosmetic ones like dental bonding and installing a dental crown, the sealant is simply applied to your tooth with a bit of gel.
Are you looking to receive dental sealants near you? At Current River Dental, we provide this service to all our patients. Our staff is here to make sure that you and your family are well looked after. We look forward to joining you on your unique dental journey and will be happy to address your questions and concerns along the way. So, if you’re ready to book an appointment today, call us, go to our company website and fill out the online form, or drop by our practice in person.
We’ll see you soon!